All children are born with the potential to be musical and learn through movement and absorbing. Research findings show that the early years offer an optimal window for nurturing that potential, and support the importance of music and movement in the Early Childhood Curriculum. Musical aptitude may be a separate intelligence and, for many children, possible their only form of self-expression.
Musical experiences can help enhance learning, listening & literacy while providing tools to promote social and emotional success. Music should also be recognized as an art form and appreciated for its pure enjoyment and enriching qualities. Children benefit from a wide variety of music, and will be gently encouraged to experiment, explore, listen to, connect, experience and create music. We will also use puppets, visual aids, and rhythm and percussion instruments. This philosophy comes from a holistic approach to music education, taking the whole child into account while respecting individual differences. My goal is to expose children to a rich musical environment that will provide them an opportunity to experience music and deepen their natural connection with it.
Why Do Music Every Day?
Making music is always a joyous experience for young children, which is reason enough to include it on a daily basis. Other benefits of providing appropriate musical activities everyday are:
- Enriches all areas of child development-physical, social emotional, cognitive, aesthetic, linguistic, spiritual
- Stimulates the brain and helps many facets of learning
- Decreases stress and increases energy
- Boosts morale and sense of well-being for all
- Brings people together & creates a sense of community
- Fosters acts of kindness and co-operation
- Music, unlike other activities, provides an instant connection with most children
- Cost is minimal